ACADEMICS + WORK + CHARACTER = SUCCESS
Guidance & Support
All students at Cristo Rey Newark High School participate in group guidance during their four years of high school. Group guidance sessions provide important resources and support as students mature and begin to shape their futures. Individual guidance is also available. Here’s a snapshot of the four-year group guidance program:
School Counseling Program
School counselors at Cristo Rey Newark High School work closely with you to provide support in meeting the academic and career challenges faced by all high school students. Working with students one-on-one or in small groups, they’ll help you to identify strengths and weaknesses and chart a sound course for the future. When necessary, counselors also make recommendations to outside agencies.
- Transition from elementary school to the Cristo Rey Newark High School college preparatory format
- Faith-based character education
- Expectation that all students will graduate and continue their education beyond high school, based on State of New Jersey and ASCA Core Curriculum Standards
- Reinforce freshman year group guidance emphasis
- Deepen character development
- Review the importance of the PSAT and other standardized tests
- Reinforce sophomore year group guidance emphasis
- Plan the college search, application and selection process
- Expose students to as many colleges, universities and alternative forms of educational advancement as possible
- Organize college visits, both onsite and away
- Complete and submit financial aid and scholarship applications
- Writing effective college application essays
- Interviewing techniques
- Preparing for PSAT, SAT and ACT tests
- Reinforce junior year group guidance emphasis
- Evaluate early decision and early action options
- Review college degree requirements
- Assist seniors and their families with the transition from 12th grade to college
Cristo Rey Newark High School students succeed at outstanding colleges and universities. Beginning freshman year, they understand that we expect every student to continue their education after graduation. It’s at the center of our educational approach as a member of the national Cristo Rey Network of schools, which boasts a 96% rate of graduating seniors who are accepted to two- or four-year colleges and universities.
Our students — many of whom are the first in their families to attend college — gain acceptance to competitive colleges and earn substantial academic and need-based scholarships. We’re proud that the Class of 2017 earned more than $9 million in scholarships.
"The Corporate Work Study Program has provided me with the exposure to various aspects of the medical field with jobs at Holy Name Medical Center, Sanofi and Liberty Science Center. I plan to pursue a career as a neurosurgeon."
—Vince Polidor, Class of 2018
"The rigorous curriculum here at Cristo Rey Newark has helped me to become more than college-ready."
—Jennifer Rodriguez, Class of 2018
"Cristo Rey Newark definitely prepares you for life in the real world - helping to build character and challenging us academically. This school teaches us respect for ourselves and respect for others."
—Eldulfo Nyeor, Class of 2020
"The Cristo Rey work study program has helped me to step out of my comfort zone and helped to build my communication and social skills."
—Uchechi Desouza, Class of 2018
"Cristo Rey Newark has exposed me to all sorts of programs that help to build my resume and career portfolio before I even leave for college."
—Christopher Maycock Smith, Class of 2018
Sign up for our newsletter and get all the latest updates.